|View printer-friendly version|
|Incyte and Calithera Biosciences Announce Global Collaboration to Develop and Commercialize CB-1158, a First-in-class, Small Molecule Arginase Inhibitor|
WILMINGTON, Del. AND SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.,
“Arginase-expressing tumor-infiltrating myeloid cells have been shown to play an important role in orchestrating the immune suppressive microenvironment in cancer; but, to date, therapeutic targeting of the arginase enzyme has remained elusive,” said Reid Huber, Ph.D., Incyte’s Chief Scientific Officer. “The addition of this first-in-class, small molecule arginase inhibitor, CB-1158, to our portfolio expands our innovative immuno-oncology pipeline and allows us to continue to advance our mission of discovering and developing immune-active combination therapies to treat patients with cancer.”
“In this strategic partnership with Incyte, CB-1158 is expected to be evaluated in multiple trials of novel therapeutic combinations, accelerating its development across hematological and oncology indications,” said Susan Molineaux, Ph.D., Calithera’s Chief Executive Officer.
Terms of the Collaboration
Under the terms of the collaboration and license agreement, Calithera will receive an up-front payment of
Incyte will receive worldwide rights to develop and commercialize CB-1158 in hematology and oncology and Calithera will retain certain rights to research, develop and commercialize certain other arginase inhibitors in certain orphan indications.
Incyte and Calithera will jointly conduct and co-fund development of CB-1158, with Incyte leading global development activities. Incyte will fund 70 percent of global development and Calithera will be responsible for the remaining 30 percent. In the event of regulatory approvals and commercialization of CB-1158, Incyte and Calithera will share in any future U.S. profits and losses (receiving 60 percent and 40 percent, respectively) and Calithera will be eligible to receive over
The agreement also provides that Calithera may choose to opt out of its co-funding obligations. In this scenario, Calithera would no longer be eligible to receive future U.S. profits and losses but would be eligible to receive up to
The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2017, subject to customary closing conditions.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Calithera will host a conference call today to discuss this collaboration at
Arginase is an enzyme produced by immunosuppressive myeloid cells, including myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) and neutrophils, which prevents T-cell and natural killer (NK) cell activation in tumors. Arginase exerts its immunosuppressive effect by depleting the amino acid arginine in the tumor microenvironment which subsequently prevents activation and proliferation of the immune system’s cytotoxic T-cells and NK-cells. Inhibition of arginase activity reverses this immunosuppressive block and restores T-cell function. In preclinical models, arginase inhibition has been shown to enhance anti-tumor immunity and inhibit tumor growth.
Follow @Incyte on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Incyte.
About Calithera Biosciences
Except for the historical information set forth herein, the matters set forth in this press release contain predictions, estimates and other forward-looking statements, including without limitation statements regarding: whether CB-1158 will successfully advance through clinical studies or will ever be approved for use in humans anywhere or will be commercialized anywhere successfully or at all; whether CB-1158 will be effective in the treatment of cancer; and whether and when any of the milestone payments or royalties under this collaboration will ever be paid by Incyte. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially, including unanticipated developments in and risks related to: obtaining approval for this planned collaboration; research and development efforts related to the collaboration programs; the possibility that results of clinical trials may be unsuccessful or insufficient to meet applicable regulatory standards or warrant continued development; other market or economic factors; unanticipated delays; each company’s ability to compete against parties with greater financial or other resources; greater than expected expenses; and such other risks detailed from time to time in each company’s reports filed with the
Contacts: Incyte Media Catalina Loveman +1 302 498 6171 firstname.lastname@example.org